Everyone loves a special occasion. Birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, holidays, etc. Well the 4th of July, Independence Day is coming up. The birth of our nation and a day, one of several, that celebrates our proud men in women in uniform. Including my own father, a marine. We thank you all for your courage and sacrifice in service to our country.
Now in honor of this beloved holiday, I thought for this post I’d share a twist on a classic desert using an all American favorite fruit. Apple Cake. It’s sweet and cinnamon-y and moist as the day is long. You can make it in a round pan or with extra batches in a classic bunt cake pan.
- ½ c softened unsalted butter
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ med apples, cored, peeled, shredded (granny smith, pink lady, or golden delicious)
- vanilla ice cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 9 in round cake pan, line bottom with parchment paper.
- In med bowl combine all dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In large bowl, use electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat and eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Using low speed, mix in dry ingredient a little at a time to wet. Cake batter should be very smooth. Add shredded apple, mix with wooden spoon until well combined. Spread mixture into cake pan in even later. Bake 40-45 min.
- Cool 10 min, carefully remove from pan, peel of parchment paper. Cool additional 10 min on cooling rack. Serve warm with ice cream.
If you want to make this in a bunt cake pan, just make a double batch, depending on the size of your pan. But be sure to really grease it up so it’ll pop out in one piece. Or butter and flour the pan. Then add a little extra flavor flair. Here’s a recipe for a glaze to go with it.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 Tbs milk
Mix all ingredients in bowl and stir together until combined.
Adding more milk to get your desired consistency.
Once cake is cooked, cool almost completely and drizzle with glaze.
I Hope Everyone has a good Holiday and Happy Independence Day
(pic provided by google)